Tuesday, January 19, 2010

not so mundane

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself today, with Makenna and Ben back to school and work after a long weekend home, and after being knee deep in laundry (literally) I was thinking how mundane my life has become.  The most perplexing object of my day is what to make for dinner.

Then this happened:  Luke woke up from his nap and gave me the best snuggles ever.  And while telling him how much I loved him, he assured me he loved me more,  because he has super powers.

Then it occurred to me...(and I know so many have reminded me of this, so please take credit for it) these days of "snuggles" and "lovies" and "kissie faces" will pass.  The ever annoying "momma's" said repeatedly until I'm ready to implode will inevitably fade into teenage years, which I'm sure will be great, but let's be honest...how can teenagers compete with the sweet, unconditional love that my young kids so willingly give me now.  In no time at all they will recognize ALL my imperfections, and see how flawed their mom really is.




So, between now and teenager-hood, I am going to enjoy each call for help to wipe bums, each snotted-up shoulder after I've just gotten dressed for the day, and each sweet warm snuggle.  But, that doesn't mean I have to enjoy the endless sink full of dishes, and the always present question, "what's for dinner?!", right?  Please tell me I'm right.

8 comments:

  1. You're right! I don't think I'll EVER miss herding children out the door to school, EVER. But I already miss toddlers home with me all day, a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I needed to read this. I am sitting here having a "I'm super annoyed with my children" moment after I've put them down for bed about 50 times tonight.

    Yes. They are darling. And for the most part, very good. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serious? I can't wait for them to grow up and you and I can retire to Tahiti. Where did this post come from?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh* You are so so right. I kind of get annoyed with people who are always telling me to enjoy this "precious" time of my life, but maybe they are right. It is all worth it for those sweet moments of pure unconditional love. I think I will go gaze at my sleeping children now.

    Oh, and Jared's comment would have been exactly like Ben's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you have been listening and pondering. Hard to remember some days but what a lift to your spirit to realize what you have right now. Not that I don't agree with Ben as well, at least on some level! Thanks for being an example to us all.
    SHW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Said I totally agree!!!! These times are but a few seconds and then they will be gone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet.
    [And I hate the "what's for dinner?" question! Ugh!!]

    ReplyDelete